What is meant by FTP? FTP is an internet protocol. You can use it to transfer files between computers connected on the internet through TCP/IP connections. Using FTP, you can upload, download, move, copy, rename, and delete files on your web server. This comes in handy when you want to make changes (for example, upload files on your website) to your website using your computer. You can simply use an FTP client to connect to your web server and transfer files. It’s that simple! Here we review some of the best FTP clients for both Mac and Windows. Each has its own advantages. Here they are:
This is free FTP client that works on both Mac and Windows. It is simple and very easy to use. It supports both
- The comprehensive interface includes everything essential.
- Multilingual interface.
- Site managing is now Multitab.
- Fast upload: the entire site can be uploaded within seconds
- Runs on multiple platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux
- One of the best file management system
- There is a drag and drop option for uploading files.
- It helps you to connect to your web provider to manage your FTP server
- There are constant updates (which is a good thing but might be a hassle for some)
- Setting up a new FTP host requires specific directory instructions
- It takes time to learn server set up
Cyberduck is a popular FTP client. It is free. It supports SFTP, Amazon S3, OpenStack Swift, WebDAV, Microsoft Azure and OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox. It boasts of easy to use interface, enterprise file sharing, cloud storage and connect to servers.
- You can use your preferred editor to edit any file.
- You can quickly copy and open corresponding HTTP URLs in your web browser
- It integrates easily with your Mac environment.
- It can locate files in finder in Mac. You can also store your login credential in the keychain.
- It allows you to edit your already uploaded site.
- You can upload HTML, Java, PHP, JS and CSS files
- You can manage multiple FTP accounts.
- Simple drag and drop to upload files.
- Visibly easier interface
- The donation popup can be annoying
- Download folder needs to be cleaned up regularly
This is a free SFTP, SCP and FTP client for Windows. Recently, version 5.13 is launched. It contains major updates including support for Amazon S3, SHA-256 key fingerprints.
It is exclusive for Windows platform.
- It has drag and drop interface for uploading files
- It includes a command line interface
- Various user interfaces to choose from.
- It allows connection tunneling
- Transfer queue and transfer resuming
- It allows file encryption
- It is open source
- It is simple, clean and easy to use
- You can save sessions including passwords.
- You can compare directories to check missing files.
- Shell commands do not work in this.
- Only available for Windows.
CrossFTP is a cross-platform FTP plugin that works on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is free. It features batch transfer. It is simple to install. It is a reliable FTP client.
- It allows many site connections inside one window
- It encrypts passwords so there is good security
- You can browse, compress and extract archives
- It supports Unicode, CJK, and international encoding
- You can drag a number of files for transfer
- Community support is available
- The UI is not that impressive
- You can’t do CHMOD functions
5. Free FTP
This is an FTP client for Windows. It supports fast and efficient file transfers. It is very popular among Windows users. Coffee House has provided this plugin as a free offering
- It is easy to use, thus beginner-friendly
- It supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS.
- It has a history feature which helps you detect where you stored a file.
- It has drag and drop functionality
- Bookmarks help you save your place in the server or computer
- Statusbar helps you with important information regarding your FTP session.
- It allows easy file management
- Some features are only available in the pro version
- The free version does not come with a code editor
So these are some of the best free FTP clients out there. Did we miss some? Do you have another option to suggest? Please share with us in the comments.